Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Rafting Rio Cangrejal, Honduras

So we had some fun in Honduras. We went rafting to gather photos and information for a sample brochure and video to show the sustainable tourism training participants. Rough, right?

Rio Cangrejal falls out of the coastal mountain range near La Ceiba. Funny thing is I think I rafted this river in 1993 when hitchhiking back to the States from Costa Rica. I know I have a business card from La Moskitia Ecoaventuras in my desk at home from that time. The logo hasn't changed in that time.

The river was higher then but the rocks (big rocks, lots of rocks) were pretty much still the same.

A little show of our trip is here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ariel Balter said...

Great footage! Who took it? Am I wrong, or is the geology there somewhat unusual in that the boulders tended to be extremely rounded and smooth. It made the scale look really weird, like you were a miniature raft among pebbles.

2:27 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

The photos were shot by Jerry Bauer and Sandra Coria. Most of the shots were taken on a bridge maybe 30 meters above the river. They had long lenses that let them shoot us from very far away.

I don't know about the geology there. The fall from the mountains is pretty steep, which would explain the roundness of the boulders. The guide pointed to a several ton boulder that was shifted by the river during the last hurricane. So, lots of water moves through there.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home